Friday, August 14, 2015

Inspired by my brother and a million people posting PRs on FB

Quite awhile back my brother (#stinnsystem4life) posted about not giving up when the PRs slow down, or even, God-forbid, STOP. He used the metaphor of climbing a hill and how it gets slippery and you really gotta dig in to reach the top... but that many people decide it's too hard and stop. It was a great post and he's a smart guy. Shortly after that I wrote something brief, referencing him, for the people involved in this Eat to Perform group about not getting discouraged with the PRs don't come so easily. When you first start eating and fueling your body properly, you will find the PRs come flowing... if you even have moderately decent programming and form and you're relatively new, this can be huge and you can make giant gains. Even I, despite being 7 years into lifting when I shifted my eating, have found the competition PRs to be steady (although let me state, it's hard to isolate one thing that has helped as right around the same time I started eating better my brother brought out the Stinn System.. while he'd always programmed for me, this programming was a long time in the making and included some cool blending of ideologies)... and I'm superstitious, so let me "knock wood" after making that statement above. Okay, back to the topic at hand. Some day, no matter how good your training and fueling is, the PRs will stop. The competition PRs will stop and the gym PRs will stop. You will face going into the gym and not hitting those same big numbers any more. This is when you need to dig in. Or, I guess you could quit, but I don't think you should. I don't even think you should jump ship and find a new program unless you've now stagnated for a long time. What you need to do is get your head into it. You need to go in and do the work, day in and day out. You need to recover well, eat well and keep training. You likely don't need to deload... in fact, a huge pet peeve of mine is when relatively new lifters say "I've been running 531 for 3 weeks and I PR'd all my other lifts, but didn't PR my overhead press, should I deload?" PROBABLY NOT! You probably just didn't PR your overhead press... Most people don't ever work hard enough or long enough without enough recovery and food to truly overtrain. Sure, it happens, but the average person won't get there. And when you do start to find yourself "over-reaching" (happens before overtraining), you'll know and then you should ease up for a few days before you're off and running. Ultimately, I'm not talking about these exceptions... I'm talking about when you are going to the gym and it stops feeling easy and constantly reinforcing. Just under a year ago I was consistently squatting 127.5-130kg in the gym in a belt... pretty regularly... now, look, I wasn't squatting 127.5 then 130 then 132.5 week to week. I was consistently squatting my top single for that day in that range. Guess what, 2 weeks ago I squatted 125kg for a single (brother told me to do a second, but I felt like I was in a bad position). I didn't quit... I didn't get pissed... I did my drop sets and came back the next day and the next and the next. Because I have a hill, just like everyone else, and just like my brother, I intend to climb it and check out the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment