Thursday, August 13, 2015

Sugar "addiction"?

I wanted to write this with research, but today a post on the a FB page prompted these ideas... I'm not editing at this point for errors and I am not backing it up with research right now although I may go back and edit after We can all be addicted to pretty much anything... but at a physiological level we are all "dependent" on sugar (most people link the physiological dependence of a substance on the word addiction) because our bodies need it to function... in fact, our bodies need it so much if you take carbs out it goes through a process to convert protein and fat to useable energy. At a biological level we are all dependent. Does that mean you are addicted to sugar or do you just really like it? Are you addicted or do you just seek energy? This is a close second for me when people tell me these small things in their lives are "traumatic"... no, you are bummed, or it was upsetting... it is not traumatic. Do you know what a true addiction looks like? Would you sell your body for a sugar cube? Would you not pay rent so you could eat some ice cream? I don't care much what processes it hits in the brain.. I get it well, that the sugar+fat combination hits the very same receptors and pathways as drugs. Did you also know you can just really like cocaine and not be addicted? Or marijuana? Or gambling? You can set off all the wonderful pathways in your brain for reinforcement and adrenaline, but not be addicted. I think saying "I'm addicted to sugar, help me" is often akin to people saying "our church basement flooded... it's so traumatic"... it undermines the seriousness of a true addiction and it puts you in the role of the victim... because people can be truly powerless to addiction and if you are powerless to sugar, then it's not really your fault, right?

1 comment:

  1. I feel there is a prevalence of victim mentality in our society. If one professes no control… then they can't take the responsibility for any of it… and people wonder why they can't lose weight/fat…

    ReplyDelete